DOST-BIST funds startup to produce sustainable packaging materials

The Philippines takes another step towards the long transition to environmental sustainability by funding a local technology startup.

During the Department of Science and Technology-Business Innovation through S&T for Industry Program symposium held April 25, titled “Harnessing Practical R&D for Enterprises”, four local companies were featured working on notable research and development (R&D) industrial projects.

“R&D is often associated with the complicated and the theoretical,” explained DOST Secretary Fortunato T. De La Pena. “The need to be innovative and competitive is a must for all industries. This event aims to present R&D’s practicality and purpose, so much so that it must be weaved in the corporate setup, ensuring that businesses can take advantage of product development, processes and protecting it from business disruptors.”

“The development of technologies always moves at an accelerated pace,” says DOST Undersecretary for R&D Rowena Cristina L. Guevara. “Through the DOST-BIST program, Filipino companies can acquire technologies for immediate incorporation in their R&D activities. This program enables Filipino companies to have an opportunity to innovate and be globally competitive.”

Tech startup Nanotronics Inc has received government funding to develop an advanced and sustainable packaging material using indigenous plants.

The symposium showcased the positive impact of R&D in the business of four local companies. Nanotronics Inc, a local technology startup, was one of those highlighted in the event, given their funding amounting to P5 million to develop a fully advanced and highly sustainable packaging material using advanced and nanotechnology materials from indigenous plants.

The project aims to solve the issue of using non-biodegradable and non-renewable materials such as plastics in packaging applications, which has raised environmental concerns. Annually, large amounts of single-use packaging materials are produced, but the post-product life of these packaging materials necessitate the need for traditional methods of handling such as incineration and land filling. However, incineration of these materials generates greenhouse gases, posing a threat to our health and environment. The project focuses on polymers, given its inherent biodegradability property. It has been seen to solve disposal issues of single-use plastics.

Through BIST, DOST provides financial assistance to private sector industries through funding 70% of the eligible expenses for licensing of technology and purchase of equipment. The remaining 30% of funding is sourced by the applicant.

Companies exploring the benefits of the DOST BIST program can get in touch with the DOST-Science for Change Project Management Office at 2/F Admatel Building, DOST Compound, Gen. Santos Avenue, Bicutan, Taguig City, (02)8837-2943/8837-2930, e-mail